Saturday 30 July 2011

Yey I did it!


Back in May I was lucky enough to win a meter of fabric from the lovely Claire's Patch Fabrics facebook page.  As I am still borrowing my friends sewing machine I really wanted some fabric to make little Sweetpea a skirt out of.  Claire was not only kind enough to give me the fabric (click the link above, she has some scrummy fabric) but she also gave me a link to a skirt tutorial that she said was easy - click here for info.

So the fabric arrived and it was gorgeous, in fact it was too gorgeous as it has taken me this long to pluck up the courage to cut into it :-)  Well last night was the night I decided that yes I could cut the fabric and yes I could get that sewing machine whirring !

I printed off the instructions, read them, re-read them, tried to make sense of some of the sewing jargon and got on with it.  It was quite easy, I think the hardest part was trying to get everything straight and then adding the ribbon at the end (which I would personally add at the beginning in future - not sure if there is a reason why it is added at the end as I am no seamstress :-)).  Also another hard part was getting little Sweetpea to stay still to check the elastic was the right length for her ickle belly - she ran off when I was trying to do this and nearly bungeed back down the corridor whilst nearly breaking the stitching I had just done!


It came out really well (well for someone who has never sewn a skirt before),  and I love the ribbon detail at the base of the skirt.


My sewing was pretty straight but I do need to work on those endings where you have to go back and forth to lock in the stitches, they are rather hard to get perfect.


This is where the elastic went in and the bungee incident happened lol, not easy holding an excited youngster still whilst checking the elastic length.



But this is one happy little girl.  Last night I finished it at about 10pm, first thing this morning she was up with her jim-jam top on and her new skirt, she had to put it on right away! :-)

I am really chuffed that I finally did it !

16 comments:

  1. Love what you did with this fabric! She looks absolutely precious! Glad to have happened by your blog today =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Well done Zoe...you have done an excellent job! Sometimes we surprise ourselves with what we can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done. I can so appreciate all those feelings. You have done such a marvelllous job that I may have to try it myself...Ax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, well done : ) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, the skirt looks really pretty, just like little sweetpea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray! Now you are using the sewing machine you won't want to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, it looks great! Now you've started there'll be no stopping you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! The skirt looks so pretty and even prettier with your little sweetpea wearing it!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorge skirt - I just made one very similar to that for my daughter, but somehow it ended up looking more like a ruff than a skirt. Note to self: check the length before cutting next time (duh)!
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a good job. May i ask where you got the pattern? Off to find her fb page now xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute, well done
    twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a pretty skirt and I love the fabric! I can never get the elastic the right length on my daughter's waist for some strange reason.

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great and very pretty. I may have little girl envy coming on :) Beth/The Linen Cat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done, the skirt looks fantastic and little sweetpea looks so cute in it! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your little sweetpea looks so lovely in your creation, what a fantastic job. I just wish I had had a skirt like it when I was younger… glad to have stumbled upon your blog, Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending the time leaving a comment, it really does make me smile :-)